[lbo-talk] Alito & disability

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Wed Jan 11 09:37:28 PST 2006

Here is part of the National Council on Independent Living's analysis and web site. --- Marta

NCIL Action Alert from NCIL's ADA/Civil Rights Subcommittee: Alito Supreme Court Hearings Next Week!!!

NCIL Urges Affiliates to Oppose Nominee Who Poses Serious Threat to ADA, Fair Housing Laws and Olmstead Precedent

Send an email to daniel at ncil.org to add your organization to our list of disability groups opposing the Alito nomination.

With hearings on Alito's nomination about to begin, the NCIL believes that the time has come for our community to take a stand. Instead of the New Freedom that we've been promised, we have faced the appointment of disability rights foes such as Jeffrey Sutton and William Pryor. Increasingly we are being confronted with new hurdles to clear in our access to justice. The nomination of Samuel Alito to replace Sandra Day O'Connor as Associate Justice to the US Supreme Court may drastically impact the future of disability rights law for decades to come. One more states' rights judge on the Supreme Court could effectively insulate the states from accountability for compliance with Title II of the ADA. The time has come when we need to make our voices heard clearly!!!

Based on a careful evaluation of Judge Alito's 15-year record on the Third Circuit Court of Appeals, NCIL's ADA/Civil Rights Subcommittee decided to vigorously oppose his nomination. As a Supreme Court Justice, Alito would pose a grave threat to the ability of individuals with disabilities to enforce their rights under the Americans with Disabilities Act, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, fair housing laws and the Olmstead precedent. In 1999, Alito's ruling in ADAPT v. HUD gave HUD a free pass to fail to enforce fair housing regulations to ensure that public housing authorities provide accessible housing. See http://www.ncil.org/advocacy/alerts/2005/alito.html for more details.

Marta