[lbo-talk] communist witches were not spectral

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Jan 11 12:56:56 PST 2006

Jim:

> Perhaps Wojtek's point is that Stalin had no problems
> dispatching such people whenever it suited him.
> A case of these folk getting what they deserved for having
> given Uncle Joe such unswerving devotion in the first place.

I'd take an issue with "unswerving" - "svervable" would be a better word choice here.

There is a certain kind of homo sapiens that thrives by serving as an attack dog for the powers that be or "the cause" - e.g. an inquisitionis in the middle ages (as for example portrayed in the novel _In the name of the rose_ ), the pogromschiki in Russia, the youth brigades in x- Soviet block countries, Red Guards in China, college Republicans in the US, Lou Proyect etc. Their chief characteristics are extreme zeal in supporting the existing power system and acting as self-appointed defender of that system by prosecuting any perceived threat to it. Think of them as Senator McCarthy but on the rank-and-file level. I think it goes beyond influence of political environment - it is more of a character or menatl flaw of a sort.

Wojtek