[lbo-talk] communist witches were not spectral

Wojtek Sokolowski wsokol52 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 11 13:43:56 PST 2006

--- Jim Devine <jdevine03 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't see how these lyrics are racist. The Caine
> brothers fought on
> the Confederate side (which is a bad thing) but the
> Union and Lincoln
> weren't that all-fired anti-racist until it was
> convenient. The Civil
> War didn't really start over slavery as far as I can
> see.

I can certainly sympathize with your viewpoint. Slavery was used as mere rallying point in a kulturkampf that soon became a real war - pretty much the way "hot button" issues (abortion, gay marriage, death penalty, guns, sex, crime, etc.) are used today - as a mere example to score a point rather than an issue in its own right.

Wojtek