[lbo-talk] Micro-news from Zambia...

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Thu Jan 12 10:19:22 PST 2006

The day I returned to my village, the headman had died. So, everyone was at his funeral. He was between 104 and 107 years old depending on who you asked. Seeing how there are no birth certificates in the village nobody will ever really know. Seeing as how the average life expectancy for Zambians is 37, I would say that he did pretty well for himself. I went to meet him once and he was surrounded by people, like a kind of living legend. They actually respect old people here. What a concept.

Did you know that a bush cat sounds like a lion when it is circling your house in the middle of the night hissing and spitting for unknown reasons?

Want to grow marijuana in Zambia? Here is what you have to do according to one of my farmers. Take some weed down to the Magistrates office, role a joint, smoke it in front of them. Then they ask you some questions while you are stoned and if you perform well you are awarded a certificate that says you are legal to grow and smoke marijuana to your hearts content.

full: http://devinsmyth.blogspot.com/2006/01/some-short-stories.html

Read "The Perthian Brickburner": http://profiles.yahoo.com/swillsqueal