[lbo-talk] A Case for a Higher Gasoline Tax

Gar Lipow the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 13:12:56 PST 2006

On 1/12/06, Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> wrote:

> American businesses and working-class homes have sprawled, much as
> the girth of the average American body has expanded. Just as many
> overweight Americans are suckers for schemes that promise weight loss
> without diet and exercise, many American leftists are suckers for
> fantasy solutions to social problems that do not cost American
> workers anything. It's time to wake up and smell the exhaust. The
> way to lose weight is to eat less and exercise more. No pain, no
> gain. The same is true for the path to environmental sustainability.
>
> Giving a carrot -- automated light rail systems -- without a stick
> won't work, for that presents businesses and workers with choices
> without proper incentives for the desired behavioral change in this
> case (i.e., make them prefer light rails to cars): light rails may be
> convenient, but cars are far more convenient than light rails in the
> existing environment. You'd have to make automobiles less desirable
> in the eyes of businesses and workers than environmentally better
> (though less individually convenient) alternatives (like moving back
> to inner cities), and the way to do it is to make it more expensive
> to use them.
>
> Yoshie Furuhashi

I outlined a stick - capital taxes and regulation. You tax purchases of SUVs. You tax purchases of energy wasting appliances. You tax purchases of energy wasting industrial capital. And you use it to subsidize purchases of more efficient products. Incidentally, given traffic and parking, automobiles are not neccesarily more convenient than a really good light rail system. The problem with existing mass transit, aside from not always saving energy is that generally it take double the time to travel by mass transit as by automobile for the same start and end points. A decent light rail system could cut that substantially. In some cases it might be the same - but even if it was a third more, avoiding the hassle of traffic and parking, and having to ability to read or relax instead of fighting traffic would be a lure to a lot of people. And if you had to ONCE YOU HAD THE ALTERNATIVE IN PLACE I specifically said that a gas tax might make sense. It makes no sense to punish people for not using an alternative that does not exist. Put in the light rail, put electric cars on the market (subsidized by a tax on the sale of gas guzzling cars). Once people have alternatives then you can consider a gas tax.

Doug gave the example of study of how U.S. inefficiency makes U.S. industry less competive than European industry. But note that is true at CURRENT OIL PRICES and was true even when oil $35/barrel. In short if price signals worked in this context, U.S. industry and autos would already be a great deal more efficient than they are. A great deal of effort on this list goes to analyzing irrationality among the working class, and a great deal of it is accurate. But it is worth noting that irrationality is not confined to the working class. I'm arguing that something has to be done. But I don't understand why when it comes to energy efficiency a bunch of people who ought to know better seem to be adapting efficient market theory - in a time when even conventional

economists are discarding efficient market theory and in an area (energy ) where price signals produce lower effects than in normal commodities.