[lbo-talk] A Case for a Higher Gasoline Tax?

Wojtek Sokolowski wsokol52 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 13 06:46:13 PST 2006

--- James Heartfield <Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Certainly would.
> The internal combustion engine is a condition of
> life, not death.
> Research by Heriot Watt University's logistics
> department shows that Britain
> would collapse 'if no lorries operated on Britain's
> roads for a week'.
> This is what happens on day five:

Similar arguments were, no doubt, advanced to defend slavery in the US South - it would be the end of civilization. If you engage enough spin doctors you can prove anything - that tobacco is good for your health, lead is harmless, and the 6 thousand year old flat earth sits in the center of the universe around which everything else revolves.

It is amazing how far the human mind can go on the road of self-justiciation of one's "way of life." To paraphrase Karl Marx, "way of life" is like religion - everyone else's is "man-made" i.e. artifical, ours is "god-given " i.e. the only true one. I guess the iron Lady taught you right - there is no alternative, so shut up and keep consuming.

Wojtek