[lbo-talk] Birgit Nilsson, RIP

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 13 08:49:52 PST 2006

Well, in Throne of Blood Kurosawa did MacBeth with Shakespeare's words, and it's the best MacBeth ever filmed by a long mile. He also did King Lear (Ran), probably the best Lear filmed. Maybe the music won't be Wagner, for better or worse, but whoever wrote the scripts for Throne of Blood and Ran had to face the same problem as whoever is writing the music for Tristan (the movie). Ridley Scott, who did this new Tristan, is no Kurosawa, true he's done excellent films (Alien, Blade Runner), and dreadful ones (Gladiator), so you can't predict. Who says that Scott won't incorporate Wagner's thanatic, if that is a word insights into the movie as Kurosawa did Shakespeare's exploration of human nature? I saw the trailers and have my doubts, though.

Here's a link to the sources:

http://www.timelessmyths.com/arthurian/tristan.html#Early

Interesting that you're a Wagner fan, Doug, I would not have predicted that. I love opera, but I like bel canto -- Verdi, Puccini -- and Mozart, maybe some French stuff. Over the last few years I've seen the excellent Ring put on by the Chicago Civic opera, walked out of Parsival, thinking that Nietzsche was right about it, and still think with Mark Tawin that "the music of Wagner is better than it sounds."

jks