[lbo-talk] Anybody know more?

Bitch | Lab info at pulpculture.org
Sat Jan 14 12:04:43 PST 2006

Fellow lister sent me a photo, which got me digging around in a really dumb attempt to avoid cleaning house, office, and paying bills.

Anybody know more? I dug around a bit but came up against a dead end with China.com where the photo was hosted once.

Making out in Tianamen Square http://blog.pulpculture.org/2006/01/14/making-out-in-tianamen-square/

Duncan sent this photo which was posted to Boing Boing. Boing Boing thanks Pete, who has a blog, Pete Barr Watson.

I'd like to know what's been fuzzed out in the top left corner of the photo, too. The bottom right is the time stamp. Does it say 2002?

There are different angles available here, here, and here ­ which I find disturbing because I'm having uncharitable thoughts about whoever was behind the camera lens. I imagine some drooling Westerner hopping around snapping photographs as if they're monkeys banging at the zoo. "Ooooo! Look at them go! Hurry, get a picture. Take more. Wait 'til we get home and show everybody this!"

And I hope that's not true. And I hope that something more charitable is going on with Boing Boing's use of it. Certainly, the comments at Flickr are a smogasboard of hetbuoy bullshit: Oh, lookee that, Hot Asian Lesbian Action!

OK, so I poked around. This photo was posted in various places before Boing Boing and before it was hosted at Flickr.

A Skyscraper City forum, where the comments are, uh, charming.

This photo was posted to another forum and this time a more "official" source can be identified as China.com. Then, I traveled back up the root to see what I could learn. Not much. I don't read Chinese and the photo is too old to be able to trace it back to the current story, what with dynamic pages an' all.

[...]