[lbo-talk] Alito & disability

Bitch | Lab info at pulpculture.org
Sat Jan 14 18:47:26 PST 2006

OK. But who here relies on the courts anyway? How many people on the left are spending their time this way? I can understand NN talking to other lawyers and to organizations that do focus their energies on that. But aren't most of us, here, involved in completely different kinds of things?

i often wonder what this "point" is meant to say to us -- who don't really need to be told to stop spending all our energies on the supremes anyway?

Anyone enlighten a bitch?

At 09:25 PM 1/14/2006, John Lacny wrote:
>I have a hard time getting worked up about nomination fights like this,
>because Bush is going to eventually get a nominee, and whoever it is is
>going to be bad. It would be different if the Democrats had a majority in
>the Senate; then, they could at least block the worst ones and insist on
>some kind of "compromise" nominee, another David Souter or something. As
>it stands now, Bush will eventually get someone; the Democrats could
>filibuster, of course, but then the Republicans could just get rid of the
>filibuster and steamroll the nomination through anyway. You can argue that
>the Democrats should do that anyway for the symbolic effect, but it would
>be just that: symbolic. Of course they should at least all vote against
>him just as they should vote against all Bush nominees, but what practical
>effect does that have?

"Scream-of-consciousness prose, peppered with sociological observations, political ruminations, and in-yore-face colloquial assaults."

-- Dennis Perrin, redstateson.blogspot.com

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org