[lbo-talk] Alito & disability

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Jan 15 10:13:16 PST 2006

Bitch | Lab wrote:

>After I sent that .... I guess I was interpreting NN's as a claim
>that all anyone involved in social change cares about is the
>judicial arena. As I said to someone offlist, that's not how it
>works -- it's always a well-rounded strategy. Offlist, someone else
>told me that we need to work on the legislative arena. Yeahbutt. We
>already _are_. Any social movement tends to engage in multiple
>strategies: agitation, education, protests, legislative campaigns,
>lobbying, grass roots support, the list goes on.

The reproductive rights movement has relied very very heavily on litigation at the expense of building popular support and membership organizations. Faye Wattleton, who headed Planned Parenthood 1978-92 and now runs the Center for the Advancement of Women, agreed with me strongly when I made that point in an interview <http://www.leftbusinessobserver.com/Radio.html#030717>. This is also true to a lesser degree of civil liberties, feminist, and enviro orgs - not the grassroots types, but the establishment ones.

Doug