[lbo-talk] Can the Bill of Rights Be Legislated Today?

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 15 12:32:01 PST 2006

Who is this "we" we rely oon this? And exc atly on what provisions? The 4th A (search and seizure) is largely gone, its glory days having been spent by the mid-70s,a lthough it is still useful on a practical level in corners here and there where the cops forget to get a warrant or just search someone withourt any ofthe ten million exceptions applying. The Eight Amendment (cruel and unusual punishment) is dead, I can't recall a C&U punishment case of significance in decades. The 7th amendment (jury trial) is important but not much litigated, besides being quite technical. The Fifth Amendment's important but likewise not much litigated, apart from the assault in Miranda, largely symbolic anyway because (a) everyone knows their rights from TV anyway and (b) the bad guys always talk anyway unless they are real pros. The 6A double jeopardy clause doesn't arise very often and has been largely gutted anyway, the takings clause is ominaously more important, but no friend to us. The 5th A due process clause remains important, but less so since (along with the 14th A due pricess clause) it's now settled that after the privacy right taht is the basis of Roe there will be no new substantive due process rights. Procedural due process -- the right to notice and a hearing -- has been demolsihed by the Busg administration, though the Courts have been standing up against that some. The 6th ademendment (speedy criminal trial, confrontation and compulsory process of witnesses) is important but not a hot spot for litigation. The 8th & 9th A are now the resort of the rights.

Which leaves the 1 A and the 14 A (Due process and equal protection), and maybe that is what Lazare is talking about -- I have never been mich impressed by his argument that constitutional protections for free speech and seperation of church and state, the rights of equal protection and due process for discrete and insular minorities (as well as the application of the rest of the BoR to the states) have been a substitute for politics. Sure, the NAACP Inc Fund pursued an equal rights-based litigation strategy to attack Jim Crow, but it is not like the Black freedom movement didn't take to the streets as well as lobby for legislation as well. The free speech rights -0-a lways chancy, since they have always vanished in wartime, were not so much won by litigation as litigation codified the 60s's refusal of the 50s great fear.

Anyway, I am, a bigger fan of the Constitution than Lazare -- he wants, in effect, a parlimentary system. That's not happening. ANd he leans on the wrong provisions of the C as problematic. Like Tom Geoghegan, he should go after the entrenched two-Senator rule and the electoral college.

<http://www.leftbusinessobserver.com/Radio.html#050908>.