[lbo-talk] Woody Allen's latest stupid movie

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Jan 16 03:41:16 PST 2006

I tend to agree with Joanna about Woody Allen, but you should go to see Match Point to see the Patrick Hughes sticking-out-perspective paintings. Hughes' studio hosted one Doug Henwood on his visit to London a year or so ago. From 21 Jan. you can catch his exhibition at Flowers East Gallery, where some 'Match Point' scenes were filmed, if you are in London. http://www.patrickhughes.co.uk/

Purple Rose of Cairo was Allen's best I thought, or maybe Sleeper, but all that miserable introspection gets me down. Simpering losers are supposed to make good comedy, but I find that the appeal for sympathy just grates. Buster Keaton was better than Chaplin.