[lbo-talk] communist witches were not spectral

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Mon Jan 16 07:26:58 PST 2006

Chris, you don't seem to be able to see the forest of all those trees of facts you have. There's a misogyny aspect to the Salem witch situation, even if there were other aspects as well. Why are you denying it. All the data you have extracted don't contradict that conclusion. The wikipedia section is not wrong in its summary of the situation, and in giving the impression of the targeting of women and some kind of conception of feminine evil in the abstract. You aren't claiming that the wikipedia report is inaccurate, are you ? Are you saying you have found some official records that contradict the picture there of some misogynist motives in the Salem With Trials ? We all learn about those trials and at length in the ordinary course of a basic education in American history. I've been studying the Salem Witch Trials since I was in elementary school , haven't you ?

Charles

^^^^^^

Chris Doss Charles, If you're really interested in investigating the subject, the official records of the Salem Witch trials are all available online here: http://etext.virginia.edu/salem/witchcraft/texts/transcripts.html

E.g. here is the arrest warrant for Tituba Indian:

(Warrant vs. Tituba and Sarah Osborne)

Salem febr' the 29'th day. 1691/2

Whereas m'rs Joseph Hutcheson Thomas putnam Edward putnam and Thomas preston Yeomen of Salem Village, in the County of Essex. personally appeared before us, And made Complaint on behalfe of theire Majesties against Sarah Osburne the wife of Alexa' Osburne of Salem Village afores'd, and titibe an Indian Woman servant, of mr. Sam'l parris of s'd place also; for Suspition of Witchcraft, by them Committed and thereby much injury do to Elizabeth Parris Abigail Williams Anna putnam and Elizabeth Hubert all of Salem Village afores'd Sundry times with in this two moneths and Lately also done, at s'd Salem Village Contrary to the peace and Laws of our Sov'r Lord & Lady Wm & Mary of England &c King & Queene

You are there fore in theire Maj'ts names hereby required to apprehend and forthwith or as soon as may be bring before us the aboves'd Sarah Osburne, and titibe Indian, at the house of Lt. Nath'l Ingersalls in s'd place. and if it may be by to Morrow aboute ten of the Clock in the morning then and there to be Examined Relateing to the aboves'd premises -- . You are likewise required to bring at the same tyme Eliz. parris Abig'l Williams Anna putnam and Eliz Hubert or any other person or persons that can give Evedence in the Aboves'd Case. and hereof you are not to faile

Dated Salem febr' 29 1691/2 *John Hathorne [unclear: ] *Jonathan. Corwin

Assis'ts

To Constable Joseph Herrick Const' in Salem

Nu, zayats, pogodi!