[lbo-talk] The US Power Elite: Undawnted

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Mon Jan 16 10:26:11 PST 2006

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> Well, many movements exist, but they are neither massive nor militant.
> And the power elite know this. Neither Republicans nor Democrats seem
> in fear of not being reelected. With the exception of Social Security,
> the Right has pretty much gotten all it has wanted -- from wars, tax
> cuts, social program cuts, to immigration.

I'm kind of surprised to hear Yoshie, of all people, say this.

The social movements out there ARE massive and they can be militant. They aren't very visible right now, but there is lots of militancy bubbling under the surface. A few months ago, a bunch of students at a high school in California got new that military recruiters would be in the cafeteria of the high school the next day. The students used Myspace and phone calls to organize a protest. The recruiters were met by 300 angry students who physically assaulted the recruiters and kicked them out of the school.

That's just one random high school.

The power elite is scared shitless of the popular movements. This can be seen in the millions of dollars they spend on policing of protests. Look at all of the recent news about police and government snooping against activists. And the right wing media machine is a well-funded effort to demonize activists, dissenters and popular movements.

I, for one, am flattered and find that this motivates me to spend each day working on the rev. ;-)

Chuck