Politicization Then and Now (Re: [lbo-talk] Alito & disability

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 16 11:42:58 PST 2006

You know better than to assume I'd assert a drop in politicization, on those grounds, without evidence. Although the study is controversial, I find persuasive in the main lines Robert Putnam's Bowling Alone, detailing the drop in participation in voluntary associations -- not all of which are political. The stuff about the % of the population voting is totally misleading, and I'm surprise to see you, a trained sociologist, say such foolishness. Voting _rates_, percentage of eligible voters voting, are downa and have been consistently down for a long time, and not just among kids and disenfranchised felons (who are not counted as eligible voters in any responsible study I know of.)

Moreover -- and this fits in which your own paean to glories of machine politics (as a Chicagoan I am a tad skeptical), the voting ois not _organized_ outside the right -- it's largely an individualistic activity. Even in Chicago the machine is now mainly a device for dispensing illegal handouts to the the friends politicians -- Fitz has his knives out for the City Clerk now --than for helping the voters in the wards. The unions don't reliably turn out the vote any more. Unfortunately the big exception is the fundamentalist and evangeligical churches -- they do very well.

Leaving voting aside, with the labor movement in apparantly terminal decline and the social movements scattered and fragmented, what is this evidence you see of of increase in populaer political participation?

BTw the "golden age" slam is a cheap rhetorical trick -- neither Doug nor I think that there was a gloroous age of American politics where all citizens widely and disinterestedly debated what was in the public interest to forn a general will. I might as well accuse you 9with more justice) of being Pollyana or Pangloss who fails to recognize the terrible fucking shape we are in and the obstacles that we have to overcome, withoughta clue about how to do it, even if we were to follow your preferred strteagy and rejuvenate a progressive wing to the Democratic Party and revive the labor movement.