[lbo-talk] Alito & disability

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Mon Jan 16 14:25:01 PST 2006

andie nachgeborenen wrote:

>Yeah, but I think dispersal plays a big role. Back
>when, working class folks lived together as neighbors
>in the Back of the Yards, drank in the smae bars, hung
>out on the porch, went to the union hall if they had
>one. Now withthe car and burbs, as noted in previosu
>threads, we are dispersed to the winds.

^^^^ CB; Yes, the territorial dispersal and scattering of the points of production, especially the industrial points of production, from the cities to the suburbs has undermined the social concentration of the working class that classically was expected to help the working class become conscious of itself and its strength. The car as an individuating form of transportation ( as opposed to buses and trains) separates workers in another way.