[lbo-talk] Woody Allen's latest stupid movie

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Mon Jan 16 15:25:55 PST 2006

Jim Farmelant wrote:

>Considering that everyone's favorite Uncle Lou has been harshly
>criticial of Woody Allen for the longest period of time, I was
>a bit surprised to read this review.
>http://canadiandimension.com/articles/2006/01/02/264/

Comparing Allen to Stanley Kubrick is absurd. Barry Lyndon is a nuanced film that actually achieves a successful transposition of a Thackeray novel to the screen and has one of the most beautiful soundtracks I have ever heard. Kubrick also directed one of the best war movies ever made: "Paths of Glory."

Allen has done nothing to compare to that. Hasn't even come close. He's a tepid wannabe and always has been.

Joanna