[lbo-talk] Bush could seize absolute control of U.S. government

peacenow at theofficenet.com peacenow at theofficenet.com
Tue Jan 17 01:36:08 PST 2006

> does Bush _need_ to impose martial law? isn't the population pretty passive?

Definitely a passive population.

> On 1/15/06, Jordan Hayes <jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com> wrote:
> > > Bush discussed imposing martial law on American streets in the
> > > aftermath of the 9/11 terrorist attacks by activating "national
> > > security initiatives" put in place by Ronald Reagan during the
> > > 1980s.
> >
> > Of course, 20 years later, the ability for the Executive to declare
> > martial law and have it stick in a country of 300 million seems about
> > as likely as it is to declare it in a country of 25 million and have it
> > stick.
> >
> > If you get my drift.
> >
> > The US armed forces are now about 1/3 of the strength they were in
> > 1982, and nearly fully committed to a two-front Central Asian shooting
> > war. It seems a little silly to worry too much about US soldiers on
> > the streets of New York.
> >
> > But uh, welcome back.
> >
> > /jordan

By the time of the WTO fiasco in Seattle, nearly 90% of police forces in the U.S.had already received military training. As in the case of the National Guards in Iraq, who were formed supposedly for only domestic purposes, the overlap between the military and police is all but complete. Seems to be an SOA model used for a long time by Central America's U.S. backed death squads, who often have police standing by. Saw that in the streets with the police blocking streets watching as SWATS attacked and beat people. To serve and protect the elite.

In the rural region where i live, the drug wars have been going on since 1983. That such intrusions into peoples lives could go on to the degree they have with helicopters, planes and armed paramilitaires in camo, with just a few of us making a stink, shows just how passive people truly are. Cut hair, conformist dress and behaviors, yuppification of conscience. Yes, passive indeed.

Fear rules and too much control in the hands of the pyramid perchers of the left; those with credentials, money and voice. But only so much can be seen, felt and understood from the top. The grass roots is where the fires of resistance, courage, unity and common visions take hold and take hold they must.

> >Subject: Bush could seize absolute control of U.S
> >
> >http://www.capitolhillblue.com/artman/publish/printer_7986.shtml
> >Bush could seize absolute control of U.S. government
> >By DOUG THOMPSON
> >Publisher, Capitol Hill Blue
> >Jan 13, 2006, 07:42
>
> First of all, I would imagine that any president would attempt such a
> thing in the case of massive disaster or civil disorder. And second,
> the US can't even occupy Iraq. How could they occupy the US?
>
> Doug
>

> ------------------------------
> On reservations, in the inner city, even college campuses are where many are
getting jobs as police and private security. Snitches are being cultivated in the schools. The divide and conquer methods utilized by the war of drugs just has morphed and grown into the war of terror. The augmentation of U.S. government by the biggest money makers in human history gives thrust to the potential of what could unfold if unifying doesn't hurry up and stop the spreading madness. The damage done to the very same reservations, inner cities and yes, college campuses, by meth may truly render the army needless. The scope of damage being done to the invisible and most downtrodden has yet to be accurately assessed. But it spreads among all of us...

Rurally, armed militia already have been deeply brainwashed about the enemy, which happens to be the very same people the FBI target, enviros, pagans, pot growers, organic planet farmers, peace activists, barter faire folk, etc. Tell me where the climate of fear has not crippled the remnants of that 60's conscience? Yet, pockets in all places carry those who stand visibly and consistently in front of army recruiters or involve themselves in opposing the SOA, etc.
> [...]
> Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 17:44:50 -0800 (PST)
> From: Wojtek Sokolowski <wsokol52 at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Bush could seize absolute control of U.S.
> government
> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org
>

> --- Jim Devine <jdevine03 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > does Bush _need_ to impose martial law? isn't the
> > population pretty passive?
>
> Not only that, but GO has no opposition worthy its
> name, can procure electoral results it wants through
> gerrymandering, advertising and, if everything else
> fails, through vote fraud.
>
> I am extremely suspcious of all conrpiratorial
> claiming that the enemy "has plans" - people who make
> such claims usually have no idea how complex
> organizations operate and tend to think that plan
> equals intent. In reality, organizations do all kinds
> of contingency planning, even though if contingency is
> quite remote or even undesirable. For example, the
> USPS developed a contingency plan for mail delivery
> after a nuclear attack on the US. Does that mean that
> the USPS or US gov't had an intent of being attacked
> with nuclear weapons? Of course not. They developed
> a plan because that is what risk management procedures
> require, so if they did not - Inspector General would
> criticize them for not doing their job.
>
> It is quite possible that various gov't agencies have
> contingency plans for almost everything, including
> terrorist attack, and those plans may call for various
> mesures restricting citicent's civil rights, freedom
> of movement, property rights, etc. But that does not
> mean that such plans are a conspiracy to grab power.
> In fact, the chances are that such contingency plans
> are a bunch of bullshit that looks good on paper but
> in reality cannot be possibly implemented (think New
> Orleans).
>
> Lee Clarke (_MIssion Improbable: Unsing Fantasy
> Documents to Tame Disasters_, The U of Chicago Press,
> 1999) studied contingnecy plans developed by
> government agencies, nuclear facilities, oil companies
> etc. and concluded that these often are "fantasy
> documents," i.e. plans that look good on paper but
> have no chance of working or to prevent any disasters
> if implemented. Such documents are developed mainly
> for creating "peace of mind" and creating an
> impression that the government officials and corporate
> execs ar "in charge." and "know what they are doing" -
> even if they clearly are not.
>
> So to summarize, government plans for every possible
> contingency, because that is government's job, and it
> would be very bad if they did not. That does not mean
> that these plans will work, let alone are a conspiracy
> to grab power. Aside the technical difficulty in
> orchestrating a coup in all 50 states (or even the key
> states, like NY, CA, MA, IL, or even TX) - GOP, and
> the ruling class in this country, has pretty much what
> it wants and faces little or no opposion. So why
> would they conspire to "grab power" when they already

It is all in place by the very nature of long laid groundwork. As much as the rulers, dictators distance themselves from the well armed bigots, they share the same philosophy of domination and violence. The dirtiest work is always carried out by death squads. The same corps control remaining resources in the U.S. that back death squads in Central, South America and Mexico. The bully chicken has come home to roost for sure. Privileged amerikkka does not want to look nor accept how precarious our safey zones are.

The MLK event in Spokane today was liberally doused with cop displays, pro life and abstinenece exhibits, security and techno, a few religious, Planned Parenthood and one activist table. NAACP amd a Human Relations organization were all that seemed to be Black organizations. Too many speakers were white and lacking in inspiration. Way too many cops in the crowd, all white cops. I witnessed Black youth not being engaged or inspired. Tired ass, white supremacist, over controlled, disgustingly racist Spokane. Really, shameful. Martin Luther King would have been pissed. I see the gutting of conscience wherever i go with flickers of outrage and courage here and there as well.

ANSWR and UNFPJ display why the war is still going on. Leaders are not what any of us need. We must heed the seriousness of what fate awaits us all. The scope of horror unfolding is truly the great equalizer. Perhaps we will learn to call in the trust for the right reasons and act with the integrity and intent essential for some kind of justice. May all the voices be heard, those in the trenches of struggle daily who witness their loved ones murdered with little or no notice from even local media, leftist as well as corp owned.

Solstice was Homeless Memorial Day in the state of Washington. 57 Homeless died last year in Seattle. 8 murders,11 suicides. I went to the vigil Women In Black and Wheel did at Westlake Plaza for those deaths. After the vigil, about 10 of us went to the site under the Alaska viaduct where a Dineh (Navajo) woman, Davina Garrison was murdered on Thanksgiving and then set on fire. A cleansing ritual took place by a woman minister and a Native American woman while homless people slept around us under cardboard and sleeping bags with sheets of rain pouring on either side of the viaduct columns. The noise of the traffic was insane as well as that of the train. The horror is inhumane and grows all around us. Too much is wrong and the dividers know how to ignite that which conquers. Do we know any better.....That is what i worry about.

We are under the dictatorship of corps who play with the puppets of Dems and Repubs. Dangerous dingbat idiots manipulating all our lives while we bicker over who is the leader. aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh

In peaceful struggle, swaneagle