[lbo-talk] Re: Hey teacher! (was: Class Dismissed!)

Guest lbodownload at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 17 03:01:49 PST 2006

> 3) I suspect your friend is working at an
> after-school
> school for retards. After-school school is something
> that most Chinese parents waste their money on...
> they
> have their kids study an extra four hours after they
> get out of school, so that the kids pass their
> exams.

I worked at a mixed buxiban where my students included after-school school kids-none of whom had mental disabilities btw- bored-housewives and equally bored single office ladies, a few businessmen.

Many of these people really could not figure mileage in their head or add and subtract correctly or easily calculate a metric conversion. When the class took me out for coffee and it came time to pay the bill, out came the calculators!

"eh xiao ming it's 650 NT."

::shock:: "How do you know?"

A popular theory in taiwan is that taiwanese primary schools focus too much and too early on higher math. Schools just move too fast and some people just never get a good grasp on the basics.

Chinese parents throw away tons of money on buxibans, yeah. I rembmer one customer in particular who had more money than sense. He was a wealthy dentist, harvard educated or so he said, who wanted me to 'teach' english to his one-year old child. He stayed to 'direct' my 'teaching' and change diapers.

I think I got the kid to say "Bee" once...

Oh well, his dime and my overtime : )

with a few such exceptions i wouldn't say that people were wasting their time in my classes but they WERE severely overcharged and I WAS monstrously overpaid, absolutely.

> Again...this is the fucked up Confucian Education
> mentality. And they know it fucked up and they still
> do it. Anyway, tell your friend to quit his job. He
> is
> not helping anyone. He is just being a babysitter.

Hey! I resemble that remark.

> Tell him that if he wants to do ESL teaching, then
> he
> should move to Japan, where he can make $30/hour. Or
> at least teach at an ESL school for stupid bored
> housewives.

The bored housewives were the ones who couldnt find africa on a map and didn't know the sun was a star.

And they wonder why ESL teachers are always in the pub!