[lbo-talk] The Argumentative Indian

boddi satva lbo.boddi at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 01:19:49 PST 2006

I beg your pardon.

New Jersey is fairly the backbone of this republic, crossroads of the revolution, site of the first baseball game, home of the Boss, the Chairman of the Board and George Clinton, home of Thomas Edison, and the place where the music of the spheres - the signal from the Big Bang itself - was first heard by man.

Also has a pretty good Diwali celebration over in - what is it South Plainfiend?

boddi

On 1/17/06, joanna <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:
> Well, ravi lives in New Jersey, which would make anyone miss their mother
> country.
>
> Actually, Jersey is OK. It's kinda flat and mellow and terminally
> unpretentious, but ravi lives in a yuppie condo complex, so.......
>
> Joanna
>

> Sujeet Bhatt wrote:
> Sounds suspiciously "patriotic" coming from an Internationalist of
Ravi's
> impeccable credentials.

Sujeet

On 1/10/06, joanna <123hop at comcast.net>
> wrote:

> ravi, visiting family in Indianapolis, wanted me to forward this to
> the
list:

Joanna ________________

>From Sen's "The Argumentative Indian"
> (hardcover, 2005):

> pages 75-80:

In that large tradition, there is indeed much to be proud of
> [he is
talking about Indian achievements that the expat community could
> take
pride in --ravi], including some ideas for which India gets far
> less
credit than it could plausibly expect. Consider, for example,
> the
tradition of public reasoning.