[lbo-talk] Gore: wiretapping could be impeachable offense

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Wed Jan 18 19:40:10 PST 2006

``if we are looking for something that passes his strict test, I think the best place to find it would probably be the faking of the Yellowcake affair...'' Michael Pollak

--------

There have been so many crimes, I just forgot that one. You'll have to excuse my lapses, I was dizzy thinking about the extraordinary levels of regular old corruption to remember Cheney's more effete national security violations.

Justin writes, ``The key question, hence my pragmatic definition -- an impeachable offense is one that tees off enough of Congress..''

I suspect the NSA violations pissed off Congress a fair amount. For some reason they seemed particularly bothered by Bush's defiance. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to get much popular traction, and the Alito hearings upstaged the story. The only reason I can figure out as for why the NSA violation bothered them was it must have directly infringed on their own power. Some senator said words to the effect, `we have a president, not a king' So I think Bush's excuse that he authorized himself to ignore warrants implied he didn't need either the courts or Congress, and some in Congress were annoyed with his arrogance. Gee, you think?

Anyway, I agree Bush isn't going to be impeached no matter what he does.

CG