[lbo-talk] Unproductive Workers = The Best Organized in the USA

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 18 11:21:07 PST 2006

Sort of, but as it's usually understood Marx's notion of productive labor involves value producing labor that creates material goods. This seems doubly arbitrary -- why restrict productive labor to the production of material goods -- if it has to be value producing, why not services and intangible goods? And why does productive laboir have to be value producing? It's nor productive id your compnay loses money? It's not productive even if it is a material goof of the sort that might be poroduced in the private sector (i.e., not a public good) but is produced by the govt or not for profit? And why the production of public gboods nor productive labor anyway? The whole distinction is a mess.

It's supposed to get ath the idea that you have to produce enough food, clothes, tools, etc., to have a working capitalist economy, but you won't have that without public goods, legal servives, accountants, police, etc., anyway. True, you can't eat legal services (which, btw. are produced in the private sector for profit for the most part), but you can't have property rights, contracts, erc., and other equipment necessary for a capitalsist economy without them either. Likewise roads. Or childcare. So I think we should write off thi dintinction asa bad idea.

If there;s a problem with the facr that union density is dropping like a stone in the private sector, it's not because the Revo depends especially on the self-organization of productive, value-producing labor. It's because there are a lot of private serctor workers and without the the union movement's much weaker.