[lbo-talk] Time of the great freeze

Peter Lavelle untimely_thoughts at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 18 11:57:51 PST 2006

Wow! It is cold here, dangerous and many people are at risk. I have lived in this part of the world for over 20 years (E Europe and Russia) and today was the coldest I have experienced. Being outside is clearly a health concern. During a normal winter it is not hard to find Russians eating ice cream outside while indifferent to the elements. Not so today. Those of us on foot are determined to get to the underground as fast as possible to later make it to work and think about the return trip. Tragically, 3-4 percent of the city at night (3 million people travel to Moscow from near by each day to work) are homeless. There is, finally, some kind of safety net to care for the most at risk (like people in the 70s and 80s living on the street). Today made me and many others I know reflect on the simplest things in life -- like being warm.

Got holiday prints? See all the ways to get quality prints in your hands ASAP. -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20060118/dcd036c0/attachment.htm>