[lbo-talk] Unproductive Workers = The Best Organized in the USA

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Jan 18 12:55:49 PST 2006

Yoshie:

> Taxes and user fees. Where do taxes and user fees come from?
> Profits created by workers in the private sector.

I think you are quite wrong on this. Taxes come mainly from individuals in the form of income and social security taxes which account for nearly 60% of total tax revenue. Taxes on "profits" (I.e. corporate income) account for about 7% and taxes on assets - 3%. http://www.bea.gov/bea/dn/nipaweb/TableView.asp?SelectedTable=84&FirstYear=2 003&LastYear=2005&Freq=Qtr

RTFM. Wages are NOT profits or paid by profits. Profits are NOT the major source of tax revenues, earnings are. Earnings are remuneration for services performed regardless of the ownership (public or private) of the entity that produced and sold the product of these service.

But more importantly, I do not really understand what you are trying to argue here. That the private sector creates wealth and government consumes or rather wastes it? I can hear that bullshit from Rush Limbaugh and an army of conservative pundits every day - so I do not really need someone on this list telling me that, especially if one cannot get one's facts on this issue straight. Or is it something else that I missed. Please do tell.

Wojtek