[lbo-talk] The Principal vs. the Police State

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Jan 18 13:23:00 PST 2006

Michael Pollak:

That story pretty much reminds me of my son - membership in some marxist-anarchist group, anti-capitalist speeches & graffiti, a trip to Cuba, ridiculing conservative opinions - followed by suspensions and being kicked out of extra-curricular programs. And therer was little one coud do about that, even a lawyer whom I tried to hire told me that . So while this strory struck a raw nerve, it does not really surprise me and I would not read too much into it. Schools are simply authoritarian institutions - anytime, any place, and for everyone except the super-rich. Most of them are, albeit some more than others. The 9/11 scare made things worse, to be sure, but not that much worse.

Wojtek