[lbo-talk] Unproductive Workers = The Best Organized in the USA

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Jan 18 13:37:07 PST 2006

Marvin:
> I may have missed it (haven't read the whole thread) but have
> you touched on how you would answer right-wingers who argue
> public employee jobs, pay and benefits should be slashed
> because they increase the tax burden on workers in the
> private sector, and that for this reason the right to strike
> should also be withheld from public employees, and, where
> applicable, removed?

Please do read the whole thing because I outlined a coherent (I think) argument against such right wing bullshit - based totally on the classical notions in economics - so no Marx cult membership is required to accept it. Basically the argument boils down to the statement that taxes are user fees no different from user fees charged by private businesses (like insurance companies, private schools, etc.) and as such, they are actually lower than fees charged by businesses, because they do not include profits. So taxes are actually a bargain (comparing to private fees for same services) not a burden for the public, albeit that may cut the private property owners out of the loop.

What surprises me is Yoshie in her "bot" mode spitting out nonsense that seems like the recitation of the right wing propaganda. Go figure.

Wojtek