[lbo-talk] myspace

c p cpthron at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 18 18:54:56 PST 2006

>I'd like to see the Chicken Little "media monopoly" pundits spend a
>little more time talking about the exciting stuff people are doing on
>the Internet to reclaim media. Most of us know about blogs, which
>continue to multiply at almost exponential numbers. All of this DIY
>publishing is taking eyeballs away from the "media monopoly" and the
>corporations are scared shitless. Another new technology that is
>undermining the media monopoly is social networking, including sites
>such as MySpace. I've discovered that there is quite a bit of activist
>organizing happening on MySpace, including a new effort this week on
>MySpace to protest Murdoch's ownership of the service. Then there is the
>role Myspace plays in helping little known bands and muscial artists
>promote their music, their concerts, and hook up with fans.
>
>I know that thanks to Myspace I've gotten to know a few more bands and
>have been prompted to go to more shows. Services like Myspace will only
>continue the undermining of the music industry.

Yep - except with a slow connection, it takes an eternity to filter through the 10,000 people who live within a few miles of you and get hooked into who you might wish to hear from or talk to - given 24 hrs in the day. in some cases it's more efficient to leave your apartment.

The FBI is using this 20 yr old guy's blog to support their ALF-activity indictment (house fire). Probably it's good not to work in groups if you're going to take part in a felony, and not to believe you can discuss concepts openly at larger meetings http://www.myspace.com/ollieaucksen

_________________________________________________________________ FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar – get it now! http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200415ave/direct/01/