[lbo-talk] an alternative conceptual framework

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 19 09:10:18 PST 2006

--- Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> wrote:

<<If public education promotes accumulation, it probably does so mainly not by educating US workers but buying class peace (e.g., keeping young people off the streets, so they won't become Wojtek's dreaded gangs at least for the hours they spend at school).>>

The problem I have (and on this I am in complete agreement with autonomists) with this orientation is that it looks at capitalism just from the point of the view of the captialist. Capitalists did not just GIVE free public education because they needed skilled workers. The working class and poor fought for them. It really burns me up to hear politicians talk about all the rights we have in this country (as if they were all there in the first place) and then credit it to the system.

Of course then too one needn't look all capitalists do not fall into the same boat. Some really do want to improve the lot of the poor and working class...they just want to do it within the framework of capitalism. They are either delusional or want to quiet their sense of guilt of course. Enter Bill Gates with Bono on leash.

Thomas

"...everytime we move it ahead, it's thrown back. But the base camp has been made, and the next wave will come and find your wreckage, and they'll be encouraged to go beyond that."

-Timothy O'Leary

"I want to do something with my life; I want to be a cyborg."

-Kevin Warwick