[lbo-talk] life in Germany

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 19 11:00:11 PST 2006

--- Andy F <andy274 at gmail.com> wrote:

> A subjective comparison of Germany and the United
> States
>
> <http://math-www.uni-paderborn.de/~axel/us-d.html>

Although there were a few small details that he got wrong, I found the above an interesting read. I must say that I was shocked by the below statement about the educationaly system in Germany. As a high school student in a poor area of the United States (West Virginia), I had heard of the strength of the German gymnasium and the French lycee. I remember wishing that I could have attended such wonderful institutions:

<<The German public (including me) generally assumed that the German school system is far superior to the US one -- until the devastating results of the PISA 2000 study came out. It showed that the knowledge and skills of German students were consistently below the performance of US students (which typically hovered around the international average). Since then, more German parents have begun to send their children to private schools, which had performed better than public schools in the study. >>

-Thomas

"...everytime we move it ahead, it's thrown back. But the base camp has been made, and the next wave will come and find your wreckage, and they'll be encouraged to go beyond that."

-Timothy O'Leary

"I want to do something with my life; I want to be a cyborg."

-Kevin Warwick