[lbo-talk] an alternative conceptual framework.

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 16:12:29 PST 2006

On 1/19/06, Marvin Gandall <marvgandall at videotron.ca> wrote:
>... am working my way through this excellent and - for me at any
rate, sometimes difficult - thread in which your contribution is, as usual, very informative and thought-provoking in distinguishing between Marx's use of the various value categories. However, I don't know how to reconcile your statement that "in any society, regardless of its specific mode of production, labour is productive if it results in a use value" with "in a capitalist society, labor is productive if...it is also productive of surplus value." <

the first statement refers to productive of use-value (i.e., useful to someone, no matter how silly their needs may be). The second refers to the production of surplus-value (which is what capitalism's health is all about).

>... And to Jim Devine's notion of "indirectly" versus "directly"
productive labour as an extension or modification of the LTOV, which I find persuasive?<

FWIW, it's Jim O'Connor's extension/modification.

-- Jim Devine "The price one pays for pursuing any profession or calling is an intimate knowledge of its ugly side." -- James Baldwin