[lbo-talk] Unproductive Workers = The Best Organized in the USA

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 16:40:09 PST 2006

Jim Devine wrote:
> Leigh: >If it [unproductive labor] has no normative meaning after all
> this time, then perhaps it is just a source of confusion... and needs
> to be abandoned.
>
>> [Need=Requirement] <
>
> why is that? does everything have to be normative?

Hell no, at the individual. However to maintain a society of individuals, norms are very useful... cultural "glue" (or something resembling the middle of the social 'curve'].

For people who use what would be considered technical language, the lack of a normative (standard +-) meaning is a hinderance to communication of key concepts, which could be intentional for a variety of different reasons and innumerable motives. But I believe it would, due to causing inefficency in that *communication*, create a net negative effect on the discussion at hand [...if any mutually 'productive' [heh!] discussion of: 'productive' vs 'unproductive' was a point of interest, it would be best to have terminology that holds still for more than one debate [:>]

Leigh www.leighm.net Have you seen my newsfeeds?: http://leighmdotnet.blogspot.com Got RSS?: http://leighmdotnet.blogspot.com/atom.xml