[lbo-talk] Re: US schools compared to E. Europe

Mark Bennett mab at straussandasher.com
Fri Jan 20 11:45:14 PST 2006

Miles Jackson

Michael Perelman wrote:

>The California community colleges rank as one of the great educational
>achievements in the country. Many are seriously underfunded. Even so,

>for a very small cost, poor people get a chance, even a second chance.

>The benefit-cost ratio must be higher than any other form of higher
education in the country.

I've been teaching in community colleges for about 15 years now; I have to agree with Michael on this. Community colleges are definitely big bang for the buck, compared to large universities. --It's a strange paradox: given the pattern of graduate students teaching entry level courses at many large universities, a student in the first two years of their college career is far more likely to take a course from a experienced and knowledgeable teacher if they go to a community college.

Absolutely, and because there is no "publish or perish" pressure, these experienced and knowledgeable teachers can concentrate on teaching. Unless that, too, has changed in recent years.