[lbo-talk] Highly ImPopper

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Fri Jan 20 16:29:59 PST 2006

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 15:03:11 -0800 (PST) andie nachgeborenen <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com> writes:

> But that is exactly what he refused to do. How on
> earth a Pole, educated in the Communist Ex-Bloc, can
> get this obvious stuff so wrong astounds me. I used to
> say, back when I was a Sovietologist, that too few
> bothered to read Marx in the Ex- (or then-) Bloc
> countries. I would have thought that you would have
> time to catch up, Woj!

My observation is that Marxism was generally very poorly taught in the former Soviet bloc. The teachers of the Marxism courses that students were required to take in school or university were often the least respected faculty members. The Marxism lectures seemed to have mainly provided students extra time for snoozing. It seems that, with some exceptons, it was Western countries that were more likely to afford opportunities for the serious study of Marxism.