US schools compared to E. Europe (was Re: [lbo-talk] life in Germany)

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Sat Jan 21 11:46:39 PST 2006

``But if you happened to stumble into the high end of the spectrum say,... the California Community College System "integrated" with U of California and Cal State U...'' Wojtek

``a student in the first two years of their college career is far more likely to take a course from a experienced and knowledgeable teacher if they go to a community college...'' Miles

-----

I had the fortunate experience of going to four different schools, starting with a community college, then a state college, and finally two different universities. I found they all had their virtues. By far the most difficult was the community college, probably because I wasn't prepared. But at state college (now called state uni) I consistantly had great professors. They were interesting, committed to their subjects, and enjoyed their students---at least back then.

However, there was a distinct difference at university level, which was really external to education. The teaching may not have been all that inspirational, but when I wanted more than education--- to be exposed to the `real' field, there were professors who did their subject as well as teach it. Just working around them was its own form of education.

But nevermind all that. The worst thing about US higher education is the US political economy. Getting a good education in this country is like getting all dressed up with no where to go.

``I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched sea beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain...''

CG