[lbo-talk] communist witches were not spectral

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 21 08:00:26 PST 2006

The estimates of millions of women killed in the witch hunt are a rad fem myth. That would have been a demographic and human disaster on the scale of the Black Death, or worse, which killed 1/3 to 1/2 the European population in 1347-52, and there is zippo support for such a catastrophe, which, among other things, would have lead to a vast missing population that aint there. It took Europe two and a half to three centuries to recover, demographically, from the plague, but it had recovered by the time of the witch craze (1550-1670).

There is no evidence of a sharp upward pressure on wages or shortage of labor in the period thereafter, such as is clearly recorded after the Plague of the 14th century -- when, for example, England passed a vagabondage law making it unlawful for an able-bodied person to be unemployed. The real death toll (and and women) for the European witch craze probably do not exceed the mid-high tens of thousands, maybe less, though historical demography is a tricky business.

The idea of villages wiping out all the women, or the authorities doing this to villages, is something I have never seen in any reputable source, and it makes no sense in light of everybody's understanding of the need for spouses, labor (because women worked, and children.

When we talk about explanations for a phenomenon like the European witch craze it is unscientific and ninmaterialist to attribute, except as a proximate cause, to fear of the Devil -- obvious ideological, which doesn't mean phony, but requires an explanation -- or an inexplicable attack of misogynistic mass murder.

The idea that it was some some of attempt by the medical profession to assert control over healing by wiping out the competition is not plausible -- the medical profession (a) didn't have that sort of clout and (b) didn't treat the peasants, who couldn't for the most part afford the fees, and (c) would have been opposed by men needing spouses, coworkers, and a general recognition that killing women is bad for the labor supply (in a society where children were also your social security and infant mortality was about 50% and death in childbirth probably about 35%.) Nor does killing women en masse because some of them practiced abortion and taught contraception make any sense -- in fact I don't know of any witch trials where these chars were brought up, as opposed to, Dame Jill cursed my cow, that srt of thing.

I don't know whata a plausible materialist hypothesis is, but so far neither of you has suggested one.