[lbo-talk] post-doctorate?

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Sun Jan 22 13:32:22 PST 2006

Can one of the professors on this list serve please explain to me what is the purpose of a post doctorate?

My daughter's boyfriend has been taking years to get his PhD in Neuroscience from UCLA. At long last it appears he is actually going to have it this spring. All this time he has lived on a very very small amount of money from teaching at UCLA as a graduate student. Now he wants to move over to Cal-Tech. He will only get a third more than he is getting now - under $30,000 to be exact to work on a post- doctorate at Cal-Tech.

I thought when one gets a PhD that they are qualified to be a professor and get a decent salary? What is going on here?

Marta