[lbo-talk] Re: post-doctorate

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Tue Jan 24 18:39:52 PST 2006

He is not depressed, believe me. The world is more competitive now than it was when you two were starting out. In addition LA is more competitive than many or most other places. Having a film industry background I know how much you have to hustle to stay on top of the game here. One has to be extremely diligent and driven. Those seem to be qualities of people who succeed here. Since the boyfriend grew up in Holland I believe he is used to a more laid back world where health care is paid for, child care is paid for, education is paid for, etc. I believe it is going to be a huge shock to him how hard it is to get a job here. Don't get me wrong, there are many things I like about him, it is just that I worry he is in the wrong fishbowl.

Marta