[lbo-talk] Walt Disney presents Devo 2.0

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 25 08:24:30 PST 2006

Now this is really bizarre. Walt Disney has bought Devo's back catalogue and has assembled 5 kids to be "Devo 2.0." They perform remakes of Devo songs -- even the late 70s post punky stuff -- and the singer looks like a poor man's Avril Lavigne (a gal).

The band's webpage is here:

http://disney.go.com/disneyrecords/Song-Albums/devo20/

The Wikipedia entry on the band notes:

Devo 2.0

Devo 2.0 (also known as Dev2.0) is a quintet of child actors created by Walt Disney Records who sing, dance, and (in their music videos and photo shoots) pretend to play instruments along to re-recordings of Devo songs, performed by Devo's five original members. The lyrics to the songs they perform are also heavily edited, to make them more "family friendly" and remove all of the innuendo typical of Devo songs. (In "Through Being Cool", for instance, the line "eliminate the ninnies and the twits" is changed to "eliminate the time you waste in cliques", and the innuendo-filled "Girl U Want" is completely re-written and sanitized as "Boy U Want". The song "Beautiful World" remains mostly unchanged until the end, where the line "it's a beautiful world ... for you, but not for me" becomes "for you, and for me too".)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devo_2.0