[lbo-talk] Spinoza v. Locke

Joaquín Brotons chimo74 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 25 10:52:10 PST 2006

Hi, I am from spain. high school´s teacher of philosophy. i read spinoza. spinoza is the name of a small town in spain (Espinosa). his family was portuguese exiled, etc.

very interesting question about radical enlightment, free thought and tolerance to religious practice. i remember that in Politics Treatise, or maybe in Theological-Politics Treatise, Spinoza wrote that free speech and free thought is prioritary, but he also wrote that all the people is not always able to think rigthly, so that is also necessary the tolerance to religious practice for democracy. ¿Spinoza vs. Locke? is not possible spinoza+locke? anyway, spinoza stated that the best religion, in a different way to locke, was catholicism: "God is love" from st. john is the nearest religious precept to "amor intellectuallis dei".

ximo brotons,

cheers