[lbo-talk] Meth and Monopoly (was Lumpen)

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 13:02:55 PST 2006

On 1/25/06, Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> wrote:
> Where there arises monopoly among those who commit crimes, it seems
> to me that the state helps create it, by putting petty competitors
> out of business.

this is one of those cases -- ignored by the econ. textbooks, natch -- in which monopoly can be better than a competitive market. After all, monopoly prices discourage people from using meth. -- Jim Devine "The price one pays for pursuing any profession or calling is an intimate knowledge of its ugly side." -- James Baldwin