[lbo-talk] Meth and Monopoly (was Lumpen)

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 07:49:01 PST 2006

Jim Devine wrote:
> both types of tobacco are subject to taxes, so switching between them
> doesn't do much good.

I believe that the "sin" tax for any given locality is the same, but the basic tax varies depending on the tobacco's 'class' A,B,C,...J (that's Top!), which isn't related to quality or health risk.

Nat Shermans were class B when I worked for them in the early 70s. That tax is probably based on total revenue of the company's sales of the product. All in all, a regular pack of camels is about 5.00, and a pouch of top is 2.55 max, and camels along with all the others ain't what they used to be.

I've been smoking 'rollies' for most of my smoking years, and assume people smoke brand name cigarettes because...

<8'>

Let's discuss advertising's effect on consumption patterns...

Leigh www.leighm.net Have you seen my newsfeeds?: http://leighmdotnet.blogspot.com Got RSS?: http://leighmdotnet.blogspot.com/atom.xml