[lbo-talk] Re: equilibrium in drugs markets

Daniel Davies d_squared_2002 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jan 26 05:49:18 PST 2006

> From: Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu>
>> According to standard economics, once prices go up too much, then the
> demand goes down, bringing down the prices eventually. Is there an
> equilibrium price in the drug market?

Yeh. Or at least, in as much as there is an equilibrium in any market ever (which is to say, not really, but there is usually something close), there is one in drugs. Drugs prices are often very stable for periods of years, and they react to changes in fashion, declining demand and fluctuations in supply in pretty much the same way as other commodities. It's a little bit difficult getting data on drugs prices, but there are datasets of reasonable quality which exist. You can in some cases actually measure the success of enforcement measures by seeing what effect they have on the street price (or more usually, measure their lack of success by the lack of effect).

They're just things that people buy, using money obtained for the purpose. If people are deprived of them they become a bit desperate but that's true of lots of things, like food for instance.

The BBC film crew walking around Camden yesterday looking for people to express opinions on the success of our council's recent crackdown in drug dealers were not particularly impressed with my contribution; that it was a bloody good thing they'd failed as this is the bedrock of our tourist industry and the local economy is fragile enough without having another negative shock imposed on it. I doubt it will be broadcast.

dd

___________________________________________________________ Yahoo! Photos – NEW, now offering a quality print service from just 8p a photo http://uk.photos.yahoo.com