[lbo-talk] why do they hate her

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 27 10:50:17 PST 2006

That is so frequent a charge about any sort of activism -- there is this really weird idea a lot of people have that apparently to get rich, just become an activist, because wealthy liberals and big ol' non-profits are behind you somehow, some way. All protests groups are actually "rent-a-protesters," that sort of crap. Like in Grizzly Man, the excellent Herzog documentary that was ludicrously shunned for an Academy Award nomination -- the admittedly loony-ish main character, Tim Treadwell, who largely lived off the land, was sent hate mail by right wingers accusing him of being wealthy, doing what he did only for money, when, as his friends pointed out, he was among the poorest people they knew.

In any event, it's disappointing to see one group of, uh, "liberals" (Dworkinites), accusing another of making some money. As I understand it, Bright makes a living editing books, and selling her fiction. WHAT A SELL OUT!

Going to cash my big weekly check from MoveOn.org for "being an activist,"

-B.

Bitch | Lab wrote:
> And then someone is going on about how she's a shill
who only cares about making money. ????

> Well, yah! You kinda gotta care about that,
assholes!