[lbo-talk] why do they hate her

info at pulpculture.org info at pulpculture.org
Fri Jan 27 10:58:12 PST 2006

At 01:09 PM 1/27/2006, Dwayne Monroe wrote:

>Of all the intriguing things I've learned from reading
>B to the L - sitting cross legged, laptop in lap,
>grooving to the dreaming machine sounds of Shiloh -
>this hatred of Bright has been the most astonishing
>thus far.
>
>I followed all the links back from your mortar fire
>attracting post to places like "I Blame the
>Patriarchy" (where I learned from a particularly
>inventive thread commentator that one of The
>Patriarchy's prime directives is providing
>unattractive S. Korean farmers with attractive wives)

!!!!!

I don't know her very well, but she has a HUGE contingent. She is funny and she is a great writer.

However, while I tried to keep an open mind ('cos I don't know her very well) all I could think about that post was that it was pretty damn racist!

If I understood what she's saying correctly, and I admit that I could be wrong so I'd appreciate other takes on it, she is applying her feminist standards to an entirely different culture.

But, the best part, was saying things about the farmers -- that they must be ugly and mean-tempered (just like her, 'coz after all she's a spinster and mean-tempered and who knows better than she does just how awful a torture it'd be to live with her, therefore, she can say what she says about bachelor Korean farmers.)

I don't know. the piece was dripping with sarcasm, but if this is what men mean when they think they read 'man-hating' in someone's work, well... I am not surprised.

But more seriously, it's an example that is rife with reasons _why_ any intelligent person would want to reject the radical feminist thesis that the only real oppression is gender oppression and that it's the first form of oppression upon which other forms are built.

What's going on in the Korean countryside cannot be adequately analyzed from the perspective of radical cultural feminism alone.

I'd appreciate Yoshie's and other feminists take on it, that's for sure.

If third wave feminism emerged in response to "post-feminist" ideologies and the backlash against feminism, I sure the hell hope a fourth wave feminism emerges to beat down this nonsense.

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org