[lbo-talk] Comments on Cybermarx?

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 27 11:48:55 PST 2006

Doug:

In other words, it's not a model for running a real economy, but for free-riding off a money economy financed by others?

People who insist that Open Source and other non-balkanized methods of production and distribution are models for how the present muck-up can be replaced are mistaken in my view.

It would be more accurate to say that OSS makes the process of producing, obtaining and modifying software less onerous *within* the existing cage (to paraphrase Simone Weil, it's like having a cell with lovely accommodations).

On the other hand, I think "free riding" is a bit off the scanner inasmuch as the money economy always absorbs and benefits from these activities, shouting to the contrary notwithstanding (note IBM's embrace of OSS as a countermeasure against MSFT - an action Sun Micro has recently mimicked).

.d.

---------

http://monroelab.net/blog/index.html

I'm sending the two of you to hell to take more lessons from your dead teacher!

White Lotus Chief Bai Mei