[lbo-talk] Comments on Cybermarx?

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 27 13:45:05 PST 2006

Chuck:

I really don't understand your point. FOSS is pretty much replacing the commercial software industry at this point. FOSS runs most of the web servers and facilitates Internet communications.

===================

"Replacing" is a very optimistic word in this context.

There has always been a large and well lit space for high performance computing objects (apps and hardware) that exists outside of the MSFT and other commercial fiefdoms' force dome.

But MSFT and company are not being replaced by FOSS; they are, in some cases employing it and others denying it using FUD as psyops.

For example...

There is JBOSS, the OSS middleware product. It's chief competition in the commercial world is BEA Weblogic.

JBOSS is not replacing Weblogic, it has found a respectable place, its use will no doubt grow due to its quality and robustness.

Still a declaration of the death of Weblogic would be severely premature.

Nessus is the premier OSS security assessment tool. Even so, commercial products that duplicate (less successfully) its power are not going away.

Many other such examples can be conjured.

The point is that quality is not the only arbiter of what will win in the market. There are other factors - propaganda being a nontrivial one.

Also, regarding the international market...

It's true Linux and other OSS artifacts are making strong inroads. Even so, I can tell you from direct observation that in places like S. Korea the default OS is Windows (bootleg preferred) followed some distance behind by Linux et. al.

.d.

---------

http://monroelab.net/blog/index.html

I'm sending the two of you to hell to take more lessons from your dead teacher!

White Lotus Chief Bai Mei