[lbo-talk] Comments on Cybermarx?

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Fri Jan 27 15:42:20 PST 2006

Doug Henwood wrote:
> Chuck wrote:
>
>> FOSS is pretty much replacing the commercial software industry at this
>> point.
>

> According to the national income accounts, final software sales (which
> means that intermediate sales - e.g., the software embedded in chips
> that are components of a larger product - in the national income
> accounts, the iPod is what's counted, not the chips, screen, etc.) were
> $198 billion last year, up 11% from 2004, and 18% from 2002. That
> doesn't comport with "pretty much replacing."

I have no idea what you are talking about.

I base my comments on the literature I've read in the industry. I have no idea what "final software sales" means. Is that adjusted for the number of new users and units? Increases in prices? Does it reflect the software that people are actually using?

Chuck