[lbo-talk] The "myth" of Hamas's wide margin

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Jan 27 22:14:01 PST 2006

> Keep in mind however that 70% of potential voters didn't get to
> vote either because of obstacles put in their way. An effort was
> made to make voting easy for Fatah voters and hard to impossible
> for Hamas. Therefore the win for Hamas is in fact bigger than a few
> percentage points.
> Joanna

Where did you get that percentage? What I saw generally claimed a high turnout, except East Jerusalem: e.g., "According to the CEC, 77 percent of the 1.3 million registered voters cast their ballots in 1,100 polling stations throughout sixteen districts yesterday. Voter turnout reached 74 percent in the West Bank, 82 percent in the Gaza Strip and 46 percent in the suburbs of East Jerusalem" (at <http:// www.counterpunch.org/assad01272006.html>).

Yoshie Furuhashi <http://montages.blogspot.com> <http://monthlyreview.org> <http://mrzine.org>