[lbo-talk] 57% back hit on Iran

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Jan 27 22:22:31 PST 2006

Doug posted:

> Los Angeles Times - January 27, 2006
>
> 57% Back a Hit on Iran if Defiance Persists
> The war has not diminished Americans' support for military action
> against Iraq's neighbor if nuclear pursuits aren't dropped.
>
> By Greg Miller, Times Staff Writer
>
> WASHINGTON - Despite persistent disillusionment with the war in
> Iraq, a majority of Americans supports taking military action
> against Iran if that country continues to produce material that can
> be used to develop nuclear weapons, a Los Angeles Times/Bloomberg
> poll has found.
>
> The poll, conducted Sunday through Wednesday, found that 57% of
> Americans favor military intervention if Iran's Islamic government
> pursues a program that could enable it to build nuclear arms.
<snip>
> Support for a potential military confrontation with Iran was
> strongest among Republican respondents, among whom 76% endorsed the
> idea. But even among Democrats, who overwhelmingly oppose the war
> in Iraq, 49% supported such action.

Too many people emphasized the idea that Iraq had no WMD, so the war was not worth it, and now we got a blowback, for that idea suggests its opposite: a war would be worth fighting if Washington's enemy were actually trying to build WMD.

Yoshie Furuhashi <http://montages.blogspot.com> <http://monthlyreview.org> <http://mrzine.org>