[lbo-talk] Lumpen

W. Kiernan wkiernan at ij.net
Sat Jan 28 08:02:34 PST 2006

Dennis Claxton quoted Johnny Cash:

> Late in the hot joints takin' the pills

> in walked the sheriff from Jericho Hill

> He said Willy Lee your name is not Jack Brown

> You're the dirty hack that shot your woman down

Holy cow, that's a song about William Burroughs!

Wojtek is right though. There's no branch of white music today with both the commercial reach and the concentrated anti-social idiocy of black gun-rap music, which makes up 25% to 50% of the contents of the platinum-selling rap records my son buys. The closest comparison among white artistic genres would be horror B-movies, and gun-rap music generates at least ten times their revenue.

Often the music side of it (which, like the Motown backing bands, rarely even gets credits on the record cover) is superb, but I guess it's _hard_ to write lyrics, so the lyricists just jerk off instead; anybody raised on American teevee can effortlessly write a horror movie.

Yours WDK - WWKiernan at ij.net